Monday, December 7, 2009

Librivox...my final project!

So...things didn't go as expected. I did learn how to use the technology, but was unable to publically post my project. I recited "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" by William Wordsworth, downloading the necessary technology as instructed on the LibriVox website. However, when I went to upload my recording it wouldn't provide me with the necessary URL links. So, I emailed to the link at the bottom of the page, as directed, but have not yet received a response. Thus I have proceeded to the best of my abilities. However, on the LibriVox link above there are examples of other poetry readings as well.
Overall I found this new technology difficult to navigate. Many of their links of "how to..." were not updated or provided vague instructions. I had to struggle through most of it by tinkering around with the technology. However, as Professor West has mentioned, this is probably what most of us do when discovering how to operate a new technology. I think that this type of technology would be helpful in the classroom as viewed by my lesson plan ideas on the wiki; however I am not sure how often we ought to utilize it. It's purposes are fairly limited - recording and listening to recordings.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you've had these problems, Christina. With my LibriVox admin-hat on, I had a look around in the uploader, but didn't see any Wordsworth anywhere. I'd suggest having another go, and selecting 'jc' for the MC-folder (that's quite a common source of the problems, because the software can't enforce selecting a folder before the upload starts, but if it's not chosen, the file never arrives.)

    Also, if any of the How To links were particularrly annoyingly broken, let me know (here or in email or on the forum) and I'll do what I can to fix them. I updated one FAQ this weekend, but there's always more to work on, and better instructions that can be given.

    Finally, *thanks* for recording for us, and I hope you find the catalogue a useful resource in future.

    Cori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christina for your feedback on the technology, and its application for our class. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete